Thursday, August 1, 2013

1 Month Post-Partum

I am finally getting around to writing (finishing) my post-partum update! I'm now actually 5 weeks pp but I started this last week so we will just go with it!

So at 4 weeks post-partum, i'm feeling great! I think i am pretty much fully recovered from the c-section (although its kinda hard to tell through the sleep deprivation) and am back to normal! I am definitely not in as good of shape as I was pre-pregnancy but I'm ok with that. I mean I did just carry triplets for 8 months!

But starting from the beginning, the first few days were hard. As much as I hated not having my babies with me 24/7, having them in the NICU was probably helpful from a recovery stand point. I dont know how I would have managed if they were in the room with me. And knowing myself, I wouldn't want the nurses to do anything if they weren't required to. I have a high pain tolerance and would have just powered through, but it probably would make my recovery longer. So, in the hospital, recovery was pretty smooth. It was hard to walk and pump, but I expected that. I think I was on a baby high the whole time and didn't think about the pain. Once they took my staples out, I (actually) felt much better.

Although I was discharged, we were still in the hospital for the babies which was nice because I still had nurses around who knew me, and we didn't have to take on being new parents to 3 small newborns at home all at once.

When we finally got everyone home, I was already 2 weeks pp so I felt pretty good. It was a lot easier for me to move around and we had a pretty good feel for what we were doing. And to be honest, I dont remember much else when it comes to my recovery after we got them home since I was pretty distracted with caring for them! I don't know if thats good or bad. Let's go with good.

Side note: I bought a Belly Bandit before I had the babies because I read a lot of good things about them and wanted to use something after delivery. It is especially helpful for after pregnancies with multiples because of how much your body stretches. So I brought that with me to the hospital and started using it right away (after about 24 hours). It has helped tremendously! The pressure was awesome for when I was sitting up and moving around.

Ok so now back to the details of being a month out. I normally dont weigh myself and I dont care too much yet about it since I can't even work out yet, and all the gaining was worth it! But, I wanted to see where I stand. My pre-pregnancy weight was 135. Breastfeeding has helped a ton with loosing most of the weight. Throughout the pregnancy I gained 51 pounds. Right before they were delivered I weighed 186. Now at 1 month (and 2 days) post-partum I weigh 139. So I have lost all but 4 pounds. But I am nowhere near where I eventually want to be. I was working out almost everyday prior to getting pregnant so although I am close to the number, I dont have near the same muscle-tone. Since muscle weighs more than fat, I probably have more like 15 pounds to lose. But, again, Im not worried at all and won't think about it until I start to workout again.

The other thing that I was worried* (well I actually could have cared less as long as I had healthy babies) about was the skin. I have read and seen many horror stories about loose skin after so that was my main concern. The belly bandit has helped a lot I think and I don't have much. My belly is still much more loose than it used to be, and I am going to have to work extremely hard to get my abs back, but it's a lot better than I expected. I just have a small pooch around my belly button right now. I did not get many stretch marks so I think that has helped but with the size my belly stretched to there is going to be some left over! haha

I have my 6 week post-partum appointment on Tuesday and i'm excited to hopefully get the all clear for exercising and... um.. life :)! I have no idea where I will work that into my schedule but I am very ready to get back into working out even if it's only a few minutes a day.

So I am not brave enough to take a bare belly shot, but here is my belly at 1 month post- partum compared to my 34 week belly shot. I tried to take the same shot in the same outfit. It's a little weird since im trying to cinch the back tight in order to see the belly. And it makes me look a lot better! But oh well. Its also a little hard to tell since the shirt is now a dress (well actually the dress was a shirt) but you can see the little pooch.

                  34 Weeks With Triplets:            4 Weeks Post-Partum:


(Sorry about small pics, not sure why that is, but you can click to make bigger)

You would think since that was my body for months that I wouldn't be so shocked looking at it, but that picture gets me every time! I will never get used to it!


3 comments:

  1. Glad you are feeling well & recovery has been smooth for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear a post-triplet belly description that's not a total horror story. :) Thanks for providing some balance to the other things I've read. I know it's not the end of the world, but it's still nice to have hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome :) It takes work but I think anyone can get their body back. I have a lot of loose skin but I can already see it getting better. You should definitely invest in a good belly binder for after... It works wonders!!

      Delete