Wednesday, July 17, 2013

A Day In The Life With Newborn Triplets

The triplets are 3 weeks old today! They are getting so big. Here is a peek into what our days are like. This is based on Monday, but all days are pretty much the same. Im leaving out a lot in terms of babies waking up and needing to be held or changed in between feedings so this is just the basics.

7:00am- (My days never really end so we will start with when Patrick's days begin.) The babies are up and hungry. Patrick and I get up and change the babies, they all have poop explosions.

7:10am- Patrick goes to get in the shower. The babies are ready to eat. I take Owen, the loudest, and give him the right side. Then Evelyn goes on the left. Declan has to wait. He is the most patient.

7:20am- Time to switch. Patrick is out of the shower and I hand hime Evelyn to burp. I burp Owen then switch him to my left side. Declan finally gets to eat on the right side. Evelyn takes a break.

7:35am- Owen is finished so I quickly burp him (he's the best burper). Declan switches to my left and Evelyn goes back on my right.

7:45am- They are all finished eating. Patrick come in to burp Declan, I burp Evelyn. Then we grab the babies and head downstairs.

7:50am- Patrick gets something to eat and makes me something. I try to get the babies to sleep in their swings. Owen is wide awake and wants to be held.

8:00am- Patrick leaves work and I sit down to eat while holding Owen.

8:05am- Declan needs a new diaper. I change him and he wont go back to sleep, so I put Owen down and finish my breakfast with Declan.

8:20am- I go put the first load of diapers into the wash with a pre rinse cycle.

8:22am- Owen is up again and needs another diaper.

8:25am- He wont go in the swing so I put him in the ergo and try to do some work.

8:45am- Evelyn is up and wants to be held. She needs to be changed (all with Owen in the Ergo).

9:00am- Declan is up and wants some attention. Now i am rocking Owen and Declan.

9:10am- I am able to put them down and go run the laundry.

9:20am- All three are awake and ready to eat again. Owen is actually content so Evelyn and Declan get to go first.

9:25am- Owen starts crying so I try to soothe him while feeding the other two.

9:30am- Time to burp and rotate.

9:43am- Burp and rotate again.

10:00am- The babies are finished and I try to get them to sleep. My mom goes and changes the laundry.

10:15am- I put them in their swings with my mom watching them and I go to shower.

10:30am- I grab a snack and then try to take a nap. Miraculously the babies all stay pretty quiet.

11:00am- Owen is up and hungry already. I try to hold him of for a bit longer. I change his diaper.

11:15am- Declan is up too, so I start with the boys on the nursing rotation. While im nursing, my mom does more laundry.

11:25am- Evelyn wakes and time to burp and rotate.

11:40am- Burp and rotate again. My mom does some more laundry.

11:55am- They are all finished and I try to get them ready to go out on a walk. I get the diaper bag ready, babies need to be changed and dressed, get hats, socks, and blankets, and a quick snack for myself.

12:20pm- We are ready to go, I put all the babies in the mountain buggy with bassinet and my mom and I head out.

1:15pm- We get back to the house and all the babies are sleeping so I leave them in the bassinet. I try to have a quick lunch with her.

1:30pm- The babies are up and hungry again so its time for the nursing rotation. My mom does more laundry, folding and putting away.

1:40pm- burp and rotate.

1:55pm- burp and rotate again.

2:10pm- The babies are done and I try to put them in their swings to sleep.

2:30pm- They are finally all asleep, so I have a snack and try to take another nap.

3:00pm- Declan is up and needs a new diaper.

3:05pm- Now Owen needs to be changed.

3:15pm- I send my mom out shopping while I try to get the diapers all put away from this morning and another diaper load is ready to go in.

3:30pm- Evelyn needs to be changed, then decides she doesn't want to go back to sleep and needs to be held.

3:45pm- Owen is hungry again so I start nursing him and Evie.

3:55pm- Declan is up by now and its time to burp and rotate.

4:00pm- My mom gets back from the store and my sister shows up to help out with dinner, etc. I tell my mom she can go home if she wants. She changes the laundry again and then heads out.

4:10pm- burp and rotate again.

4:25pm: The babies are finished and I  change them try to get them to sleep again.

4:45pm: Declan and Owen are asleep but Evelyn wants to be held. I put her in the Ergo and do some more chores around he house.

5:00pm- Patrick gets home, and takes Evelyn, then I try to nap.

5:15pm- The babies are up and we change them and then I start the nursing rotation.

5:25pm- Burp and rotate.

5:40pm- Burp and rotate again.

5:55pm- They are finished and we try to get them to sleep. Owen wants to stay up.

6:20pm- They are finally down and we try to sit down for dinner with my sister.

6:25pm- Owen had a huge poop explosion and needs a full outfit change. Then he doesn't want to go back to sleep. I hold him while I eat.

6:30pm- Evelyn needs to be changed and then held, Patrick takes her.

7:00pm- We finish dinner and I take the babies while Patrick and my sister clean up.

7:15pm- They are already hungry again, so we start the nursing rotation. My sister goes home.

7:25pm- Burp and rotate. Patrick goes and changes the laundry.

7:40pm- Burp and rotate.

7:55pm- The babies are finished and we take them and their bouncers upstairs to the bathroom for bath time. We set up the puj tub in the sink and Patrick undresses Declan and I get the water ready. He hands him to me and I bathe while he gets the other two down to their diapers. When Declan is done, Patrick dries and diapers and I bathe Evelyn. When she's done, Patrick dries and diapers then its Owens turn. When he is finished we put them on our bed and put lotion on, clothes, then they get swaddled and put in the pack-n-play to fall asleep.

9:00pm- Once they are sleeping we try to get everything set up for the night, diapers,wipes, blankets, clothes etc.

9:15pm- The babies are awake and all need to be changed.

9:30pm- They are hungry and we start the nursing rotation.

9:40pm- Burp and rotate. (I have Patricks help to burp them)

9:55pm- Burp and rotate again.

10:10pm- They are done and Patrick takes them until their next feed while I sleep.

11:45pm- They are up again and are hungry, we change them first.

11:55pm- We start the nursing rotation. Patrick goes to sleep.

12:10am- Burp and rotate.

12:25am- Burp and rotate again.

12:40am- They are finished and swaddled and I try to get them to sleep.

12:50am- They are down and I go to sleep.

2:15am- They are up again and I change them first.

2:25am- I start the nursing rotation.

2:35am- Burp and rotate

2:50am- Burp and rotate again.

3:05am- I swaddle them and try to get them all back to sleep.

3:15am- They are asleep and now I can go back to sleep.

4:40am- The babies are up and I change all of them again.

4:45am- I start nursing them.

4:55am- Burp and rotate.

5:10am- Burp and rotate again.

5:25am- They finish and I swaddle them again and put them to sleep.

5:45am- It took Owen a while to go back to sleep but they are all down now and I can sleep again.

7:00am- The babies are up and the day starts all over again!

So there you have it! Im not going to say it's easy, because it's not. I am running on constant adrenalin and breastfeeding takes a lot out of me. As the babies get older everything will get a lot easier (I hope!). That being said, I am loving this stage even while extremely sleep-deprived and am trying to cherish all of these newborn moments! They won't be this way for long! It's pretty crazy and very busy but we love it and wouldn't trade a thing! But we couldn't do it with all of the help! So thank you to anyone that has sent us meals, helped with shopping, helped with household chores, or just given us love and support! 

7 comments:

  1. You are all doing a great job!!! I remember at the time, thinking those endless days and nights may last forever. Now mine are 2 and it really does just seem like a blink of an eye and it was over. Sleep deprivation is tough and often you probably don't even find time to brush your teeth or hair, but it really is worth it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! Yes its hard now but I know ill miss it when its gone! Their sweet little faces keep me going :)

      Delete
  2. I was still reading the 9am log and already got tired! You're awesome, Kate! (... and your husband, mom, sister, and other helpers!) --MrsDoodles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Thanks! When I wrote it all out I realized how crazy it sounds! It's slowly getting easier :)

      Delete
  3. I found your blog through Megan's, and was reading back through your posts. I am in awe at what you do on a daily basis! I'm sure it's worth every minute to have those sweeties, though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I Have spontaneous BBG triplets too! Born July 11th! This sounds sooo much like our day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats! Its pretty crazy but so much fun!

      Delete