Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Another Scare...

We are still in Labor and Delivery and may be over night just to be sure. After my last post Declan's heart rate dropped again to 96! We are ok now thankfully. For whatever reason it seems his cord was getting compressed. Although the boys are identical and share a placenta, there is still a thin membrane dividing them. So they do not have a possibility of getting tangled, but it is still possible for interaction.

For now, what we can tell is that Declan was trying to get into more of a head down position. (For the last month Owen had been head down on the bottom, Declan more transverse across the middle and Evelyn transverse on top.) So he was pushing himself into Owen.

It looks like we have some pretty tough boys already! Declan got himself slightly tangled in his cord which might have caused the first drop. The second time was worse and his cord was trapped between his back and Owen. He wasn't receiving enough oxygen. Thankfully we were still there because the doctors took quick action. We have no idea if he could have been saved had we not already been hooked to monitors.

When it started to drop they did an ultrasound right away and saw the cord being compressed. If it went  below 90, they were probably going to do an emergency c-section. They gave me oxygen and tried to change my position but it kept dropping. As a last resort two male doctors (one being my OB thankfully) tried to manually move the babies. It was extremely painful but I would have done anything. Normally this is done at the end of a pregnancy to try and turn a baby into position for vaginal delivery. Trying to move two babies is much more difficult. Thankfully they were able to more Declan quickly. They did an amazing job. His heart rate went back up immediately and has been at (about) 148 since.

I am in a bit of pain but for now all is good. My babies are safe. And that is all I care about. I am being monitored now to make sure I don't go into labor from all of the events. So far so good, my cervix is still closed and there are no signs. For now I will be on high alert to make sure their activity levels don't change.

It has been a very scary day but all will be fine. They have assured me it's a fluke and it most likely will never happen again. There has to be a perfect position and pressure for a cord to be pinched like that. We all are very lucky that we were already in the hospital.

No comments:

Post a Comment