Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Cloth Diapers!

I have been meaning to do this post for a while. This is just going to talk about our newborn stash, the rest are still in the works. Many of you already may know (and may or may not think we are crazy) that we are cloth diapering our triplets! We made this decision before we even knew we were having three. Or at least I did. Once we found out there was a slight hesitation but it really then made even more sense! They are so much cheaper, but more importantly they are healthier and safer for the babies and are just so darn cute!!

So I was a bit overwhelmed with the thought and all the options out there did not help. One of my brothers plans to do cloth with his baby (still baking) but besides that most of our family doesn't. They were very supportive with the decision and almost excited but that didn't get me anywhere with advice. I joined a few birth boards hoping to find some friends and information (some much more helpful than others) and watched youtube videos nonstop. It all made me that much more excited.

I started feeling like a pro and I kind of had an idea of what we wanted so I started shopping. Thankfully a friend of mine that I had met recently with older children had told me she was done having kids (She had an 8,6,4, and 1) and would be happy to give me (most) of her newborn stash! This helped so much because she had quite the collection of quite a few brands. Now obviously it was not enough for triplets but it gave me a good start. She had a couple of everything and also gave me her reviews of each.

First off I knew we should get pre-folds and covers. Personally I don't know if ill like them but everyone says they say that and they become their favorites. They are pretty cheap and you can use them as inserts (or burp cloths/rags) later on. She gave me a few and I ordered more.
We went with the Bummis Organic Cotton newborn size. They are so soft! We have 24 for now.
(and don't forget the snappis!)

These are obviously not water proof so we got a few covers to go over them.
We went with the Thirsties covers in extra small (for our newborn stash). We have 6 of these plus a few random covers from the friend.


After that I decided we mainly wanted to do all in ones or AIOs. They are the simplest and although more expensive, we both like them the most.

We received 2 Fuzzibunz extra small and I have since added 4 more.

Next we also got 2 of the bumgenius extra smalls and I also bought 4 more.


We received 2 Swaddlebees (blueberry) Newborn Simplex and I added 4.

(So cute and tiny!)
Then she also gave us 4 of the Kissaluv newborn fitteds, which have to be worn with a cover as well.
She also gave us 4 kissaluv newborn and I added 2 more

Then we got 2 Rumparoos lil joeys newborn and I got 4 more (though im tempted to get even more!)


Lastly, she gave us 3 Goodmama newborns!


That puts me at 61 changes which would mean I would have to wash close to everyday for the first few weeks. That thought scares me a bit so I probably will order 12 more prefolds and possibly a few more aios to bring the total closer to 80. That way I will have a bit of a buffer. And I know family and friends will be around to help.

Also, we are using cloth wipes! Wipes have tons of chemicals and are EXPENSIVE! My mom is currently making us wipes out of flannel and some out of terry cloth. We will have about 60 of those.

As for our stash past newborn stage... I got nothing! haha We are in the process of buying a few of a few good rated brands (probably about 30-40) then when we have them here we can decide which we really like and don't and get more!

If you have any tips, ideas, or suggestions let me know! All the help is appreciated!

2 comments:

  1. Yay for cloth diapers! I am from the bbc cd board. Don't forget about the size of your washing machine. You might need to wash every day simply because you can't fit more in the load!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I I love cloth diapers & thought they were much easier than disposables! We are now potty training & I was going to put our diapers on eBay. Let me know if you are interested in any of them :)

    ReplyDelete