Thursday, April 4, 2013

How We Came To Be: Love and Marriage link up

A few of the bloggers I follow have started a blog series called Love and Marriage that will run the month of April. I thought I would join in and write our story!

In High School I was a very sporty girl and did not really pay much attention to boys. It wasn't that I didn't want a boyfriend, I just focused on other things. Needless to say, I was a tomboy. I had a lot of guy friends but none of them thought of me as girlfriend material. Patrick and I had tried a few dates towards the end of senior year, but nothing really worked and we didn't want to mess anything up. That was until college started. Patrick was one of my best friends from home and we kept in contact the most once moving away. I went off to UC Santa Barbara to play soccer and he went to UC Berkeley for Football. After that first semester (quarter for me), coming home was what changed everything. Once we were able to see each other again I think we both realized what we really felt. After about a week of spending every waking hour together it seemed, Patrick asked if we wanted to get ice cream. (Is it bad that I remember this day like it was yesterday and cant seem to remember what I was thinking 5 minutes ago?!) We had done things like this before but when we started to walk over, he grabbed my hand. He says he was so scared to ruin our friendship but after he did that I knew we felt the same way and started to give him hints. On our way back we kissed. It was amazing and I can say right there that I knew I was going to marry him.

After a couple weeks of awesome we had to part ways again. It was really hard, and since we both were on teams it was even harder to plan trips to see each other. Skype was our best friend. Once summer rolled around it was like we hadn't left. During the next few years we broke up a few times but never lasted for more that a month because we missed each other too much. We both graduated in 2008 and moved back to San Francisco. Once home we I started my own business (a bakery and cafe) and he went off to law school. After 3 more years of dating and after graduating law school he proposed. It was amazing and I was so happy. We were engaged for about 8 months and got married on July 21st 2012.

So there you have it! We have been together for almost 9 years and married for almost 7 months! I can honestly say we are soul mates and I don't know what I would do without him. I can't wait to see what life holds for us and to spend the rest of it with him.

1 comment:

  1. I think it's wonderful when friendships work out to be more! :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete